I turned 26 last year in November and I was suppose to reflect on my 25th year on this earth the day after my birthday. But as life always does, it happened. So I never got around to writing a reflection. As I sit here at work, I feel like a lot of my other posts are reflections of my year so this won't get too repetitive. But here goes nothing, or potentially everything...
I started my 25th year with a goal in mind, to start making serious efforts to begin dating. Now I've never "traditionally" dated and by that I mean, met random people out and about, exchange phone numbers, go on dates and etc. I've always been introduced to someone through someone I know and things just become more from there. So I made efforts to be at more social events where I'd have potential to meet someone, stepped out of my comfort zone and approached women, etc. Totally put myself out there. Needless to say it most of the year for me to meet someone and truly connect with them. I tried online dating and everything. I think part of the problem though was the "what if" questions and lingering feelings and connection that I had with two people from my past. Once I realized this I sought out closure with both individuals and received that. Very long process but I got what I needed. I realized that it was best that I cut all ties with one person and realized friendship, at best, was in the best interest of everyone with the other person. For once, I sought out answers to close doors on relationships instead of having them slammed in my face. In the midst of obtaining the closure I was seeking I met someone. Never really saw it going anywhere because she too was in a situation but it in fact did, go somewhere. We've been through so much in this short period of time and it feels like it's been longer than six and half months. It's truly been a really great roller coaster ride. Most days are fun, interesting, insightful, and awesome. I've learned a tremendous amount about myself and how to function in a relationship with someone who is so opposite of me. We are still learning each other and navigating how to meet each other's needs and expectations. It's funny though because a relationship is all I've wanted or what I felt like was missing from my life and now that I have one it's so hard for me to adjust to not being single. I think I suffer from the "too independent" complex. I've had to do everything, figure out everything, and depend only on myself for years and learning to let go a little, consult, ask, and consider her as my partner is way easier said than done. But everyday I get better at all of that. This 26th year is full of promise for not only my future (school, career, and etc) but also for my relationship.
I hope this was worth the looooooong wait lol. But if it wasn't, just keep that to yourself.
My Vulnerability
Thursday, February 6, 2014
A year older
Posted by K.I.M at 3:40 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment